4.22.2010

wk. 1

I'm about to finish my first week in South Korea. So far I have not felt "culture shock." Well at least I do not feel that way. There are obvious, and expected, differences in everyday and the social life of Koreans compared to 'Americans'. Here are some examples that I have noticed:

1) The majority of places do not open until 11am, with the exception of 24 hr mini-marts (these are everywhere) and the local coffee shops. It is a late night culture. And I mean that in every way. I was having dinner/drinks around 9:30pm and the streets were pretty packed. You could spot your business men stumbling on the sidewalks, the women getting piggy back rides due to their drunkenness & the older school children barely leaving the English language schools (texting on their phones like always).

As I was glancing out of the window, I saw the most hilarious thing...some man, after 5 too many soju bottles, standing there repeatedly doing some sort of taekwondo kicks. He literally did this for a good 5 minutes. CLASSIC!

[back to my 'list']

2) You do not tip at restaurants or anything actually

3) Finding healthy, delicious, authentic food is ridiculously easy. Most restaurants price nothing higher than 5,000 wons..a bit less than $5. Ex. This made to order ramen and rice ball was a mere 3,500 won (around $3 friends!!!)




4) The home heating systems are AMAZING!!!! Hot water pipes run under the flooring....you turn the dial & wham! your floor is heated! Loving this...



There is so much more I can mention but that would take way too long!! I am too descriptive for my own good at times.
Weekend updates will be up sometime soon... I might go to a fortress, folk village, hiking or Ansan City.......decisions decisions

No comments:

Post a Comment